Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pretty Girl Rock

Once again, my latest attempt at planning ahead (only one week in advance, mind you) failed. But this time, it's for good reason. On Friday I received an email from the University of Kansas Medical Center. It was inviting me to interview for a position in the 2012 entering class! I instantly let out a scream of excitement, but was quickly quieted as I continued reading to find that my visit is scheduled for February 8th:  aka isolation. My mind began racing as to how I could make this work. I immediately pulled up an old email from them with all of the potential interview dates. The only other options I have are tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday. Obviously there is no way I can make it tomorrow, as I haven't even been able to discuss my situation with them. I could probably make Wednesday work, but would miss a quiz that cannot be made up. Tuesday would be "ideal". I just need to figure out a day later this week I can make up the microbiology lab I would miss, and get notes from a friend over the presentation a guest speaker is making in another class that day. Yet, I can't even officially plan any of this because I have no idea if KU is going to allow me to come this week. And there is always the chance every time slot is already full. Nonetheless the first thing I will be doing tomorrow is calling the listed contact and discussing my options. If all else fails, I'm envisioning a Skype session interview from the radioactive bedroom of yours truly.

Then when I begin to think past Wednesday, I remember I have a very important doctors appointment at the Med Center on Friday and will have to miss both classes that day as well. Yikes. It is safe to say my head was spinning all of Friday night, and the stress of everything that is going on was starting to show.

Fast forward to Sunday morning. There is just something about attending mass at your home parish with family. Every aspect seemed to hit me dead on. The Gospel reading was from Mark and was the story of Jesus telling the fishermen to abandon their nets and follow Him. Our priest spoke in his homily about how each day we are called to follow the Lord in some way. Despite that, we are either too busy, lack confidence, find better things to do, or tell ourselves we will get to it later. His challenge to us was to push everything aside and listen to how we are chosen. It was then I began to feel a sense of peace. I have so much going on, but essentially have no control over any of it. What better time to walk away from all of the nets I have casted and place every ounce of trust in God.

Music has always been a getaway of mine, and at mass we sang two of my favorite songs. Naturally the words sank a little deeper. A line from one is: Abba, Abba Father. You are the potter. And we are the clay. The work of your hands. I definitely try to have a very open mind about everything, and this was such a great comparison. Here I am anxiously waiting to see what the future holds, and its shape is in the hands of the most remarkable artist. I am so lucky!

The other song had these words: I will come to you in the silence. I will lift you from all your fear. You will hear my voice, I claim you as my choice. Be still, and know I am near. Do not be afraid I am with you. I have called you each by name. Come and follow me, I will lead you home. I love you, and you are mine. During this song, I realized how blessed I am. I was blindsided by everything in the beginning, but see it now that I was hand picked to embark on this adventure. I can't exactly tell you why though, at least not yet. Maybe having my theme song and ring tone set as "Pretty Girl Rock" by Keri Hilson (look up the lyrics) has made too much of an announcement to the world to "bring it on" because I'm obviously pretty awesome. (Just kidding, of course, about the last part!)

So here I am, still with my weekly planner adorned in tons of question marks. But I am honestly content. Yes, the next few days could be absolutely insane, and I know there will be moments of doubt, but I'll leave those times up to the Big Guy.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely call KU and explain your situation. They will be more than willing to work with you!!! (At least we always were at DMU!) :) Thinking of you lots!! :)

    ReplyDelete