Friday, January 27, 2012

Rock Chalk McDonald's

Good news! We all made it to Friday. I'll be honest, when I was writing my last post Sunday night I wasn't entirely sure how my week was going to fall into place enough to make it to today, all I knew was that somehow it would. And it did!

Now I'm sure you are all wondering what happened with the Kansas University Medical School situation. I called right away Monday morning, only to get a voicemail saying they were all out of the office until Wednesday conducting interviews (ha, weird), so I left a brief message asking them to call me at their earliest convenience. An hour later I received an email stating they were out of the office, but that I could email my questions back to them. I immediately compiled together the best explanation of my situation, replied, and then waited. And waited some more. I arrived back in Lincoln that day around 4pm, and the instant I walked into my room my phone alerted me of a new email. Sure enough it was from the Dean informing me that there were no available interview slots, but that they would make one for me if I could be there at 9:30am on Tuesday morning. In the next hour I sent at least 10 emails to professors and people about missing class and other obligations on Tuesday, exchanged out the clothes in my bags, made sure my skirt suit was ready to go, my mom was on her way to pick me up with Starbucks in hand, and we had a hotel waiting for us in Kansas City for the night. Talk about random road trip!

Both interviews at the school went well, and my mom got to enjoy some time shopping at The Plaza. We also got to meet up with a relative of ours who works at the medical center. Before we departed for home, we tried to think of a place I might be able to get some food. The lunch the school provided looked amazing, but of course none of it was iodine-free. The almonds and clementines I packed tied me over for a little bit, but by then I was pretty hungry. My mom had the idea to try a Mongolian restaurant. I absolutely love fresh veggies, and as long as I didn't put any sauces on, it was diet friendly. As boring as that might sound, it was far from that for me. I was in heaven. Now of course it is much better when I can load on my favorite blend of flavors, but it was warm and stopped my stomach from sounding like a gurgling drain, so I was happy.

Speaking of food, I have been having the strangest cravings since this iodine-free diet began. Here are a few of the things I would pay big bucks to indulge in right now:  juicy cheeseburger, swiss mushroom Runza, grilled PB&J, all kinds of popcorn (of course), cheesy with ranch from Amigos, pulled pork and BBQ sauce, cinnamon crunch bagel with hazelnut cream cheese from Panera, sushi, beer cheese soup, chips and salsa, pancakes, and the cheesiest pizza imaginable. I have no idea why I am craving most of those foods.

When I was home last weekend, Kyle had some friends over. My mom loves to have food out whenever people are hanging out so she decided to whip up some chili and her famous (and my hands down, all-time favorite) red velvet cake. To make matters worse, she licked the batter covered mixing spoons within 2 feet of me. Let's just say she's lucky I love her as much as I do.

The craziest thing so far though was a dream I had the other night. In it I ordered a cheeseburger and large fry from McDonald's. (Side note: I never eat McDonald's. I can't even tell you the last time I was there.) Anyway, I ate the entire cheeseburger and most of the fries then started freaking out. I realized I had broke every rule of my diet and had no idea what to do! Panic and fear set in that I had ruined everything and that the radiation wouldn't work right. Thoughts raced through my head of what to do. Get sick? Drink gallons of water? Have my stomach pumped? I ran outside to a baseball game where my family was, and a nurse friend of ours advised me to go to the nearest drug store and buy the most intense laxative they carried. Next thing I knew I was awake and very confused. I couldn't figure out if I had been dreaming or if I actually ate McDonald's. After a couple of flustered minutes I came to my senses and was beyond relieved that it was just a dream. Disclaimer: Please don't judge me or my bizarre dream.

I had my final pre-treatment appointment today at the medical center. I had to pause and look twice when I read the words "Cancer Center" above the entryway. Not sure if it has really hit me yet. Everything is all set-up on their end to start treatment on Wednesday, February 1st. It's hard to believe the time is already here. I'm still putting the finishing touches on classes and everything else on my end, but again I just have to take it day by day...more realistically, hour by hour. For the most part, my teachers have all been very helpful. I also met with the Office of Disabilities on campus, as advised by a professor. They are such wonderful people to work with! It is nice having the University stand behind me in support of everything that is going on.

Happy Friday, everyone! Fill your weekend with the things that make you smile! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment