Thursday, March 1, 2012

Windy City Woes

Note: This post was written yesterday late afternoon, but is just getting uploaded now because 1. Midway didn’t have free wifi (really? It’s 2012) and 2. As I was using my phone to post it, it fell and was instantly destroyed. The screen went streaky and white, no sounds, no actions, nothing. I tried everything imaginable and nothing worked.

This all happened right before I was supposed to board. Wonderful timing. A boy had just sat down next to me and he seemed friendly, so I asked politely if I could use his phone to call my mom. He was more than willing to help this random stranger out, and so I called my mom who called my friend for me and updated her on the situation. I then called my friend from this man’s phone just to touch base on plans when I landed.

To make a long story short, this boy and I ended up having a great conversation in the waiting area (totally missed our boarding call and had to laugh when they called our names over the loud speaker even though we were sitting right there) and decided to sit next to each other on the 5 hour flight to California. By the time we arrived, we had covered all bases and gotten to know each other pretty well. Turns out he is from Boston, out visiting his brother, and also graduates in May. So as much as I hate not having a phone, and the messy situation it has left me with, in a way it was definitely meant to be. If it had not happened, I wouldn’t have met a new friend from the East coast.

So with that all being said, here is what I meant to post yesterday:

I am sitting here at Midway in Chicago, people watching (which I enjoy doing), until I catch my connecting flight to California, where I am going to enjoy much needed time with my other half. For both her and I, it could not have come at a better time. Side note: I’m sure many of you are questioning my decision to miss a couple days of class and travel halfway across the country when I just got back to campus. Trust me, I’ve heard it all from people the past couple of days. But, it doesn’t bother me one bit. My time at home after treatment was far from a “vacation” as some people are comparing it to, and I have worked like crazy the past week and a half to catch up and make this work. So I’m not afraid to put it simply: It is the best decision I could have made. I can’t think of a better medicine.

Anyway, this post is going to be a lot like the people I’m currently watching—a little bit of everything. 

I should start by updating you on how I have been feeling lately. The symptoms are very sporadic. Some moments I feel totally back to normal, and then others I hit rock bottom again. Saturday and Sunday were both pretty bad. I had no strength and almost fainted during mass. Monday was a new day and a new me. I regained some strength. (Probably because I spent all weekend in trying to catch up and sleeping.) I had a big microbiology exam this morning, so any time I had up until 10:30am today was spent teaching myself almost 5 chapters of material. The last exam was on the day I started treatment, and even though I just got back, we already have another one. So needless to say I was beyond confused, lost, and overwhelmed. I think the past two nights closing down the library and getting hardly any sleep (and the desperate help from 5 Hour Energy) paid off. I feel confident about how I did and more than anything am glad it’s over! Oh and I almost forgot. The worst part about the entire exam was that the last two chapters of material were about virus replication and the changes that take place for them to turn into cancer. It talked about how very little is known about how to stop the replication and also went into the science about the damaging effects of radiation on our bodies. It hit me in a strange way. I definitely was feeling mixed emotions but knew I just needed to hammer through it!

I have had a couple weird things happen lately that remind me I am forever changed from the radioactivity I experienced. For one, as I walk under streetlights at night, they instantly go out. This has happened on three different occasions now. Also, yesterday I was getting my hair done and my stylist is the cutest pregnant lady. I was so excited to see her baby bump. The instant I arrived, I put my hand on her tummy and the baby immediately gave a good kick! I jumped back a little surprised and put my hand back on. The baby did it again! That feeling is so amazing and miraculous. Awhile later, my stylist asked me, “Keri are you sure you can be around pregnant people now and that you aren’t radioactive?” I reassured her I had passed the 3-week mark and was cleared. She started laughing and replied, “Well I had to ask because ever since you touched me, this baby has not stopped going crazy and it has been calm all day!” Oh the things I get blamed for…

We were sent the bill from just the pharmacy yesterday. The single dose of radiation I swallowed on the last day of treatment was $5,520. That doesn’t include tests, scans, hospital and doctors fees, etc. I cannot get over the fact that I SWALLOWED that much money. Seriously unbelievable. Thank the Lord for health insurance. You would think I would be sweating and emitting $100 bills left and right, my own personal money tree. If only that were true!

My taste buds are still not back in action quite yet. I tried a sip of wine the other day just to remind myself how much I am looking forward to my time in California. It was the most disgusting thing to hit my tongue in awhile. I had my friend try it just to make sure it was me and not the wine. She said it was delicious. I am so bummed. Wine is my absolute favorite. My fingers are crossed that they come back soon because this is starting to get old!

Today at the airport I had to be sure and have my special card from Nuclear Medicine ready for security. Because of the radiation the doctors told me that for the next year I have to carry this card with me whenever I travel, as there is a good chance I will be mistaken for a bomb. I honestly think it’s pretty cool. Haha. Things went well today. Of course I was taken to the side to be scanned by a machine and examined further, but they didn’t find a nuclear bomb. Phew!

To end though, I should share that my heart hurts so badly for my little brother. He had to be checked into the hospital today because of a severe case of mono. It started out as strep a couple days ago and has progressively gotten worse. The latest update is that they have been pumping him with fluids and is looking better. Not to worry, he will be just fine. But the absolute worst part about the whole thing is that he was supposed to take off for Winter Park tomorrow with a couple friends to hit the slopes. He is a die-hard snowboarder and has been planning this entire trip for quite some time. This is his only free weekend to go, as the rest are consumed with golf tournaments. I wish more than anything I could trade places with him. I would do it in a heartbeat. Yes, it means I would have to miss this trip to California, but at least he would get to go to Colorado. My trip could be postponed, but his cannot. Chopper like I told you earlier, I am so so sorry! I can’t imagine how mad, bummed, and sad you are. Love you and get better soon!

It’s almost time for me to board! Next stop, the arms of my best friend for the biggest hug ever!

1 comment:

  1. Keri, you x10 stronger than I thought you were. You inspire me to try hard in everything from homework to just being somewhere! You are in my prayers all the time and I will NEVER stop loving you like a sister! Keep on pushing on and don't stop believing! I know you can beat this! "I can do everything through Him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:13. I will always believe in you, Annie

    ReplyDelete