Thursday, February 23, 2012

Weak All Week

It's funny how great I thought I was doing towards the end of my stay at home. Little did I know that a few short days of being back to "reality" would hit me as hard as they have. 


Here's a recap of my week back on campus: 


Sunday: My mom drove me back down to school late that afternoon. We grabbed dinner together and then moved my massive load of stuff back into the sorority house, where I was greeted by so many wonderful friends! I spent the night unpacking and catching up with everyone. 


Monday: It was very hard for me to get out of bed! But I knew I needed to get to microbiology. I threw on an outfit and headed out the door. I could tell it had been raining, but didn't have time to run back upstairs to grab my umbrella. That was a mistake. My class is all the way across campus, and after only a minute or two of walking, the rain started coming down again. Of course I was not dressed appropriately either. It's almost as if during my two and a half weeks in isolation I forgot how bipolar our weather can be, and that even if it is sunny out, it is probably below freezing. I had on leggings, a light jacket, cute scarf, and Toms. None of which was fitting for the freezing wind and rain. I finally arrived to class only to walk in and see a note on the board:  "Class Cancelled Today." Normally that would be exciting news. However, having to instantly turn around and retrace the steps I had just made did not sound appealing. Once I finally made it back sopping wet to my room, I changed into sweats, a tee, and crawled back into bed for a warm nap. The afternoon went well and I actually had a decent workout after class. I cleaned up and anxiously went to try and find my car in the parking garage. I wanted to run to HyVee to get a few things for the week. After searching a few floors, I finally found it. Before I turned the key, I paused briefly to smile and take in everything. I had not drove my car for 3 weeks and this would be the first time I could finally go do something for myself instead of relying on someone to help me. I was so excited! That moment was short lived. As I tried to turn on my car, it wouldn't start. Completely dead. With no jumper cables, and no one around, I made the trek back downstairs to ask the police department if they could help me out. Fun Fact:  they will not help you jump your car. Now what? I called a good friend of mine who said he would come to my rescue. Once he arrived, I figured I should learn how to jump a car and made him teach me. It seemed like a good life lesson. He taught me all the rules about the red, black, positive, and negative. And just like that the car should have magically started back up. But that would've been too easy, right? For some reason or another my car would not turn over. We tried numerous times and made adjustments. At this point he was pretty sure we would not be getting my car out of that garage. But I was bound and determined. I told him that maybe if we just let it sit forever that it might eventually work. After letting it charge for over 20 minutes, I gave it one last shot. It started!!! I definitely let out a scream of relief. 


My friend insisted on coming with me and to sit in the car while I ran into the store so that I did not have to turn it off. On the way, I called my dad and got his advice. He told us to find a reliable auto shop to test my battery. And if I needed a new one, to have them replace it right then and there. It turned out my battery was functioning above normal and that just sitting there for 3 weeks seemed to be the problem. Two hours later it was finally time to go to HyVee. I grabbed the foods on my list and headed back to campus. Because of my car trouble, I snuck in late to our Monday night meeting. When I did, one girl spotted me and let out a loud scream. The next thing I remember is being mauled by some of my best friends. Seeing everyone again was so awesome! I finished off the night by writing a paper and completing 7 different assignments...


Tuesday: It was time to return to the lab. This is the point I started to realize just how far behind I am. We were instructed to calculate results of previous electrophoresis and spread plate experiments. Of course I was not there for any of that and had no idea what was going on. We have a practical in less than two weeks and I am already anticipating how brutal it is going to be. After classes I had to lay down and take a nap, which lasted a lot longer than I had planned. By that afternoon it was evident that I was not used to being on the go and my stamina is far from being back to normal. 


Wednesday: I woke up and walked to microbiology once again. That day we had a quiz. The entire lecture I was totally lost, and the quiz was just another glaring reminder of how much catching up I have to do. That afternoon when I got on the bus to head to East campus, I had realized I forgot my bus pass in my room. I tried to explain the situation to the bus driver (who see's me ride it all of the time), but he rudely interrupted me and said, "You have plenty of time to walk back and get it before the next bus comes." I was so frustrated. But I didn't object and just turned and headed back to get my silly pass. I was almost back to the bus stop when I noticed that the next bus was already taking off--4 minutes early. What I would have done to see the first bus driver who told me I had "plenty of time". I called a friend in the class with me and decided by the time the next bus came, class would have started and I would have walked in pretty late. I turned to go back to the house to skip when one of my good friends was coming across the street. Ironically she was headed to East campus and said she would give me a ride! I walked in just in time. 


Later in the day, a friend and I went to Ash Wednesday mass together. It was a great reminder about what the season of Lent is all about. Finding the love of God in everything we do, and making sacrifices to remind us of the sacrifice Jesus made for us. Which by the way, I have given up popcorn again this year along with sweets/desserts. I am already struggling with the popcorn part. Nonetheless, it was wonderful getting to attend mass again. Afterwards, I intended to get a lot of reading for class done, but one of my best friends had just flown in from her trip out to Los Angeles. We spent two hours catching up and laughing. Then, I actually did do some reading but was absolutely exhausted so it didn't last long. 


Today: My alarm went off at 8:17am (I don't like times ending in 0 or 5 for some weird reason). The instant I opened my eyes I knew I was doomed. I could only see half of everything and my head and neck were pounding with pain. Classic migraine. I have been getting them since I was in 4th grade, and the only relief comes from seeing a chiropractor. I quickly called the one I see here when I'm not home, and they were able to get me in at 9am. Thankfully I was able to drive myself there. Normally I have to have someone take me because my vision is too bad, I'm in too much pain to function, or my arms go numb and limp. I think I caught it early enough this time before the brutal symptoms had time to take over. The entire way there I swore I was going to get sick (another classic symptom of mine). I fought it back and made it through the appointment. The chiropractor was in disbelief at how messed up and tense every part of my body was, and still is. The adjustment was painful and he noted I would be sore. But I assured him that anything helps the pain of the migraine I was having. I got back to the house and knew I had to apply a hot pack and try to sleep it off. I was out for the next 4 hours. I woke up feeling better, but still had sensitivity to light and sound, and the pain had gone from throbbing to an ache. So once again, the productive day I had planned did not happen. Even though I slept all day, I have not stopped yawning since I woke up. Looks like I'll be crawling back into bed soon.


All things considered, I'm doing alright. I hate how weak and tired I get, but hopefully that will get better soon. The migraine was not what I needed today, but I'm surprised I have not gotten one sooner with all of the changes my body has gone through. The strangest thing I've noticed in the past few days though, is my taste buds. You know that feeling after you take that impatient drink of your Starbucks the instant they hand it to you and you completely scorch your tongue? That's how mine feels. Raw and tasteless. Everything I eat has a strange taste and sensation. Even gum and water have not been the same this week. The doctors mentioned that might happen, but I seemed to have forgotten until it appeared the other day.


Seeing all of my friends again has been so amazing. I am beyond blessed. But I can't say the same about being back into the swing of things. I was telling my mom as we pulled into campus that I was in awe looking at everyone going places. For the past 3 weeks my life has been put on hold but everyone else's just kept going forward. And now I'm having to jump back in and hold on tight. But what better time than the Easter season to embrace change and wake up each day in anticipation of the adventures that lie ahead. 


Another quote that has served as a great reminder:  "Only God can can turn a mess into a message, a test into a testimony, a trial into a triumph, a victim into a victory."


xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment