Monday, February 6, 2012

Back In Action

Hello! Yes, I'm back!!!

Although, I'm not even sure where to begin. In the past three days a lot has happened and I have had plenty of time for thousands of thoughts to run through my head. So bare with me if this post seems to be all over the place. 

Friday was a long day. I spent the early morning packing everything up and figuring out only what I would need to have in my room and what my mom could keep in the safe zone. Before I knew it we were headed to the med center to check in. Labs were done, and then the waiting began after we reported to Nuclear Medicine. My mom and aunt grabbed Starbucks and we killed time in the gift shop and wandering the hospital. Then I spent the last bit of time on the iPad before it was time for my scans. They ran three different views. As I laid there for an hour under the continually switched out warm blankets (hidden gems at hospitals, never refuse them even if you're already warm), I could not stop marveling at the technology circling around me. We are so lucky to have access to the care that we do!

After those were complete, we were taken to another room to wait for the doctors to review the results. After about an hour, a resident came in and began to review the process for adjusting to life after the radiation was administered. To be honest, she was terrible. Her patient interaction was average at best and she was just going through the motions of checking things off the list. I remained pleasant and just wanted to keep moving forward. Then came the radiologist. She told us the scans looked good, and the trial run on Thursday went as planned. However, she made a comment about the pathology report that was incorrect. (I knew right away because I, myself had reviewed the copy sent home with us after my post-op appointment.) After we questioned her, she said she would go check it out again and proceeded with more information about the rules after the treatment. But, her's didn't quite line up with what the resident told me, or what the radiation safety guy had called and talked to me about last week, or the nurse of the doctor in charge of my treatment. So here I was with random bits of varying information from four different sources. This time I didn't remain as calm. I waited for her to leave the room before I let loose. My poor mom and aunt had to hear me vent about how annoyed and frustrated I was and that I just wanted to go home. I was not mad at anyone, simply just upset at the fact that I have been working so hard to make sure everything falls into place on my end and to them I was just another case. In their defense, I do have very high expectations for physicians. But only because I know I will hold myself to those same standards of care as a doctor one day.

Finally it was time to receive the radiation dose. (By the way, the doctor was wrong about the pathology report.) The pharmacy delivered it in a secure vessel, covered in the infamous radioactive yellow label. Everyone had to leave the room, and I was given the instructions not to touch it and to quickly swallow it down. There I sat. Holding the treatment in a crazy container that apparently is supposed to treat the cancer they found a few short weeks ago. It was a very strange couple of minutes. A few deep breaths and one big swallow later, I was done. And just like that, I became the girl that everyone had to stay far away from. 

I crawled to the far back of the suburban covered in old sheets, opposite of my mom. She put in Toy Story 3 at my request, and we were on the interstate headed West for home. I didn't make it far though. Just as Woody was found hanging from the tree by the little girl at the daycare, I fell asleep. That was for the best because I did feel a little queasy and being in the way back of a car with the high winds only added to my slight case of car sickness. Before I knew it we were home. But it wasn't my usual homecoming. No hugs, no unloading my bags myself, no homemade food waiting for me. Just a a few hellos from afar to my dad and brother, and the random quick shutting off of lights by my dad to see if I was glowing yet. Then it was off to my bedroom I went. Which is where I have stayed all weekend aside from the few steps to my bathroom. 

As far as how I have been feeling, I can't complain. I've had a few bouts of nausea, but the doctor wrote me a prescription for the anti-nausea medication they give to chemo patients and that has done the trick. No migraines, yet. (knock on wood) Just a weird headache that has not gone away since I arrived home. And some bizarre chest pain that we are keeping an eye on. Oh and the tingling of my hands, feet, and lips indicating my calcium levels are still low from surgery. I have been exhausted and have not had an appetite at all. But again, I have nothing to complain about. Considering the circumstances, I am very lucky. I am tired of constantly shaking due to extreme chills no matter how many layers I'm wearing or sheets I'm covered up in though. Also, there is a baby gate in our hallway keeping our lab, Parker far away. Add that to the baby monitor in my room, and the fact that all I do is sleep and sometimes eat, and my dad's usual name for me of "Baby Keri," is very fitting still at age 22.  

Being isolated from all technology besides my TV, was not a big deal. Just like I didn't miss emails, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. in Africa, I didn't miss them this weekend. The thing that was hard was not being able to go to espn.com to quick look up game times, scores, and reports. And I really don't like depending on others to do things for me. I would much rather do everything myself instead of ask for help. Clearly that has had to change drastically. My brother stayed home with me Friday night while my parents went to card club. He was amazing! Anything I needed, he was there. He even kept me laughing by acting out The Sandlot scene when Benny attempts to get by "The Beast," Hercules. (Which was me behind the baby gate in this case.) 

There are a bunch of things I could talk about, but I've decided that this post is already long enough so I will just save those for the next couple of days. One thing I do want to touch on though, is the Super Bowl. I am so happy Eli Manning and the crew got the job done. The catch by Manningham was absolutely unbelievable. Not to mention, the dead on, across the body spiral from Eli. But, I was very disappointed in the commercials. The M&M one made me laugh, but majority of the others were not worth the amount of money spent. Madonna was a disappointment as well. Beautiful woman, but her dancing could use a lot of work. But the thing that I was most disgusted with was Gisele Bundchen. I realize she is a supermodel, but if you are the wife of a quarterback playing in the Super Bowl, at least wear the teams colors! It's not a fashion show. You don't need to wear the latest trends. Support your husband and the team. Custom make an adorable jersey, piece together layers using red and navy blue, something! She's clearly not in it for the right reasons. Just more evidence that I'm fit to be Dr. Trophy Wife.

To close, I know my mom posted it on my Facebook, but I wanted to again mention how Friday, February 3rd (my treatment day) was the feast day of St. Blaise. It just so happens that he is the Patron Saint of Throat Illnesses! When I found this out in the waiting room, I was in total amazement. I don't care what anyone tells me, there is no possible way that out of 365 days (366 this year) that my treatment would just "magically" fall on that day. It is a total God thing. I guess He really means it when He says to trust in His timing!! 

God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. You are a trooper, Keri! Hang in there. Praying for you while I run and sending blessings to you that you'll be crossing the finish line for the Race for GRACE in April with a huge smile on your face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have been praying for you all weekend Keri! Glad to hear that you made it through all that yucky solitude! We will keep praying for your recovery:)

    Tena

    ReplyDelete