Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Grey's Anatomy

Everything I need to know, I have learned from Grey's Anatomy. No, not the anatomical book of GrAy's Anatomy, the television show. But I have a feeling that book will come in handy many times in medical school.


I have been watching the show since it began back in 2005. However throughout this last year due to heavy course loads and a busy schedule, I missed all of season 7 and all of the episodes of this current season. I decided that my time in isolation would be the perfect opportunity to catch up. My mom went out and bought season 7 for me, and I was able to buy a few of the recent episodes on iTunes and watch some on abc.com (once I was allowed to use my computer again). Four days and 33 episodes later, I am finally caught up and ready for the new episode airing on Thursday! I know the fact that I spent that much time watching a TV drama series sounds pathetic, but if you can think of something better I should have done, I will eagerly listen. Reminder I couldn't touch anything: books, magazines, my computer, school work, puzzles, paper, etc. unless I was going to burn it afterwards.


My family could hear me laughing, crying, frustrated, and breathing sighs of relief through the baby monitor numerous times while I was watching the show. I would yell how much I loved Grey's and that I couldn't get enough. A few episodes later I swore I wasn't going to watch it anymore because it made me so mad. Then sure enough, I was sucked back in due to how the plot unfolded. The screenwriters sure know how to do their job. I thought I would share a few of the things I have learned from the crazy crew of physicians at Seattle Grace hospital:


Figuring Things Out: We all try to plan out exactly how things are going to happen. In high school it's all about how things are going to play out with your new crush and the big Homecoming dance coming up. College students are enjoying their freedom, but in the back of their minds have no idea what they want to do once they hit the real world. And everyone has their beliefs about how things should go in all areas of their life. But then all of a sudden something hits you. Let's say cancer for example. In one episode Meredith makes a comment that sums all of this up: "Just when we think we have figured things out, the universe throws us a curve ball. So we have to improvise. We find happiness in unexpected places. We find our way back to things that matter the most. The universe is funny that way. Sometimes, it just has a way of making sure we wind up exactly where we belong." And I couldn't agree more. God has plans. As my mom always says, "Let Go. Let God." 


Miss Independent: I have been very independent since I was a little girl. Along with that independence comes the notion that I don't need a man to complete me. While this is a good thing for many reasons, when I claim I am not going to get married it's a bad thing because having a family one day is something I am ecstatic about. And like every other girl, I have random wedding ideas compiled on Pinterest. (Warning to all the men out there, ask to see your girlfriend's Pinterest "board" before you drop down on one knee!) Now I realize none of this quite lines up, but I think Grey's has helped me figure it out. Meredith again sums it up nicely: "I always said I'd be happier alone. I'd have my work, my friends... But someone in your life all the time? More trouble than it's worth. But there's a reason I said I'd be happy alone. It wasn't because I thought I'd be happy alone. It was because I thought if I loved someone, and then it fell apart, I might not make it. It's easier to be alone. Because what if you learn that you need love. And then you don't have it. What if you like it? And lean on it? What if you shape your life around it? And then... it falls apart. Can you even survive that kind of pain? Losing love is like organ damage. It's like dying. The only difference is – death ends. This? It could go on forever. Now that was a little too extreme for me, because I can promise you I will be able to survive any pain that comes with losing love. It's clearly the other person's loss anyway! But she's right in that putting so much time and effort into something just to have it crumble in a matter of minutes is so disappointing. Again, I have very high expectations for the people I love because I would be willing to go above and beyond for them, so it is simply just easier to go through life independently. I'm secretly hoping though, that eventually someone comes along and proves me wrong.


The Ultimate Best Friend: It is my hope for everyone that they have that one best friend who is there for the good, the bad, and most importantly, the ugly. I have been so blessed to find mine, and I know that no matter what happens, nothing will ever come between us. Whenever one of us is talking to a new guy, he has to meet the others' standards or it's game over. And we always talk about how our future husbands are going to have to become best friends, or the family vacations we are going to take together, just won't work. In one of the episodes, Christina had been staying over with Meredith and Derrick (all 3 in the same bed) because she was fighting with her husband, Owen. At one point Christina mentions to Meredith that she felt bad about invading their space. Meredith quickly responded, "Christina, you are my soul mate. Derrick is the love of my life. He understands." I loved it! It is exactly how I feel about my ultimate best friend. (Who I finally get to go see in 21 days!!!!!)


Being a Doctor: Every single episode reinforces my passion for medicine and reassures me that it is my dream to become a doctor. To clarify, I know it is just a show and that is not how it actually is in real life. But the miracles of medicine when a patient is saved, the struggles and heartache felt when a patient is lost after trying everything, having to comfort families in joy and sorrow, and the complexities of how our bodies work, are very relatable. Oh and I can't forget the scrubs! There really is no better outfit. 


So that was a taste of the things I have learned in the past few days. Now I said it was everything I needed to know, which was obviously an exaggeration. But there was some truth in that statement. As for how I'm doing otherwise, I still can't complain! The chills have switched from being constant to off and on. I keep having nausea at night, but the medicine is doing its job. I'm still weak and can only stand for so long before I have to sit down. But the greatest thing of all is that my iodine-free diet has ended! I'm still adjusting back to "normal" food, but I can't tell you how amazing the warm Swiss mushroom Runza I ate was. Not many other things have sounded appealing. I have, of course, over-indulged on various kinds of popcorn though. 


I'm still in isolation. That will last through this upcoming weekend. My bed is not only where I sleep, but has become my dining room table and desk as well. Like I said before, not being able to go fill up my water bottle whenever I want or run to the fridge to grab something has been an adjustment. Oh and today a friend asked me what the weather was like. I paused for a moment and realized that I have not stepped foot outside since my arrival home on Friday. And I won't get to go outside again until this Friday when I head back to the medical center for scans. The results will tell us how well I responded to the treatment and where, if any, the cancer has spread. We pray that the treatment has hit it all hard this first time around, and that all other organs, glands, and tissues are clear!


I'm spending a lot of my time today catching up on some homework and working on that Africa internship application. I am so excited for the North Carolina vs. Duke game tonight! Go Tar Heels!

No comments:

Post a Comment