Friday, February 10, 2012

The Prisoner Escaped

God is so good!

 Along with each and every one of you: my personal prayer warriors. Because of His grace and your endless love and support, today has been a great day!

But to be honest, I was a little nervous from the moment I woke up. Until now, every other day didn’t seem to faze me. Today was different for some reason though. I think it was because I knew my scheduled round of scans at the med center would reveal if the radiation had done its job and if the cancer had spread, two factors that this entire process revolves around.

Nevertheless, I had a smile on my face and was ready to go. It was also a day of many firsts. I wore jeans, put on makeup, did my hair, and stepped outside all for the first time since last Friday afternoon. Watch out, world. I’m coming for you.

My dad and I loaded up and headed East down the interstate. We met my aunt for lunch and then checked into the hospital. The scan machine this time was different than last week. It was definitely a day to force away my claustrophobia because I was slid completely into a tunnel, and the imaging above my head came down so low that it graced the tip of my nose. It made the tunnel slides at the water park seem like nothing now. Deep breaths, eyes closed, and 45 minutes later I was done.

Then we waited for the doctors to review the images and were told a resident would come in and discuss the results. We all had to laugh because of our wonderful experience with the resident last time. Luckily it was not the same one. She reported there was more uptake than originally presented last week. Meaning, some of the lymph nodes surrounding where the thyroid once was did show cancer. However, it appeared that the radiation was doing its job and attacking the cancer in those areas. Also, the rest of my body looked cancer free. I think we all breathed a big sigh of relief! She went on to say though, that the true test would be in 6 months. I would report back for blood work to check my levels of thyroglobulin and TSH. If those appeared suspicious, I would need a repeat scan to see if the cancer had come back. But if they appeared stable, I would be in the clear, at least for a year and as long as I didn’t notice any changes. From here on out, I will need to repeat blood work and possible scans every year to check the status of the cancer. While thyroid cancer is treatable, we have to remember there is no cure. But I am content with that. It will forever serve as the perfect reminder that my strength and dependence lies in the Lord. And those times when I am overwhelmed and frustrated, it will keep me grounded knowing that the annoyance is not as important as it may seem.

Now it’s time to focus on regaining strength and stamina. Oh, and completing the homework that seems to just keep piling up as emails from professors continue to land in my inbox. I did however get my application for the internship in Africa completed and submitted yesterday. Keep your fingers crossed!

Yesterday was also a rough day for many reasons side-effect wise and I tried to sleep it off but that wasn’t working. So I began to read the book The Vow. Before I knew it, I had read the entire thing! It was so great being able to read a book for pleasure. As much as I would love to go to the movie theater later for opening night, that won’t be happening. It is sure to be packed, and while I am cleared to start being around other people for small amounts of time, I can’t be near little kids or anyone pregnant. And what better place to find emotional, pregnant women than at a romantic, heart-warming movie? And did I mention it’s starring Channing Tatum? Enough said. But guys, I promise you would like the movie as well. It is all based on a true story and the lessons are remarkable ones we can all learn from. So if your girlfriend asks you to go, surprise her by agreeing without hesitation.

Once again, thank you all for your prayers of strength and hope. They have been answered! I cannot tell you how much it means to me. Also, I will continue to post at least throughout the rest of my time in isolation. I wouldn’t want any of you to be disappointed and think this was the end. The adventure continues!

All My Love & Happy Friday!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to know that all is well! The vow was a great movie! I can't wait for you to see it so we can discuss! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have immensely enjoyed reading your blog. You are a fantastic writer. I am so sorry you are having to go thru this but you know you will be a much more compassionate doctor and stronger person. I think your professors should just give you A's on your courses and not make you do the rest. You deserve it. Stay focused and look to God for strength.

    ReplyDelete